For sure this is a unique experience, and one that is truly Berlin. But don’t take my word for it — check out a few more reviews on the food and the restaurant from others in Berlin:
You are here: Home » Don’t Hate Me For Hating Currywurst!
October 10, 2012 | 11 Comments
I hate currywurst. There. I said it. Being so in love with Berlin as I am means that sentence borders on — no, it is — blasphemy. The people here go nuts for the (pork?) stuff, and I really cannot understand this gastronomic mystery. In fact, I’ve been told that Germans eat more than 70 million servings of currywurst cuisine annually. There are scores of currywurst restaurants in the city, and even a museum dedicated to immortalizing it’s meaty history.
Yes; greasy hot dog, chopped up, with icky too-sweet ketchup and sneeze-inducing dusty curry powder draws visitors from around the world. In my Berlin office cafeteria, I could always tell when it was currywurst day — the line snaked all the way through the entire eating area and out the door.
Maybe it’s an American thing, I don’t know, but I can confirm that my compatriot, Travels of Adam, feels the same: YUK!
But, if you are one of those that are passionate about spicy grease mixed with sugar and you are in Berlin, besides eating it you might want to visit the Deutsches Currywurst Museum. Nose your way through the powdery sniffing stations, get your very own personalized currywurst profile, and learn all about the curious history of the cult snack food while lounging on a giant weiner shaped sofa. To keep the curated experience in your heart long after you leave, you can even harass their oblong German speaking mascot, QWoo, on twitter.
- Chillin’ at Mauerpark July 13, 2014
- Urgent Veterinary Care and Pet Emergencies in Berlin October 13, 2013
- Best of Berlin Blogs: Roundup Feb 2013 February 11, 2013
- Kiss Your Honey On Gendarmenmarkt At Night November 1, 2012
- The German Museum Of Technology In Berlin October 27, 2012
- Getting Naked With The Doctor September 4, 2011
- Bye Bye Monbijouplatz, I Will/Won’t Miss You June 21, 2012
- Sharing Translation Expertise With Google September 3, 2011
- Don’t Hate Me For Hating Currywurst! October 10, 2012
- Bird Virgin No More (Best Burgers In Berlin!) February 10, 2012
- garycummings: This is all about culture and how we were raised a...
- phantomballs: They are all embarassing but perhaps this takes th...
- swwamm: This is really nice info.Thanks for such a wonderf...
- Morgan Roderick: Well, that brought me to tears. I hope the story e...
- Soccerguy: At least you guys got a heads up. I haven't been s...
american Berlin berlinale bootie christmas cool cuisine dancing dj doctor expat expatriate expensive fashion FKK food foodie freikörperkultur funny germany gourmet holidays landmark life luxury michelin star nudity party prêt a diner restaurant sightseeing soundcloud startup technology tim raue tourism translate travel trendy unique vacation visit walking wow youtube
- #Jellyfish EyeEm.com/p/43945581 5 days ago
- "Barcomi’s" buff.ly/1oeDJv9 2 weeks ago
- "Wir haben Ratten im Haus!!!!!!!!!!" buff.ly/1zDR3xb 2 weeks ago
- Aaaw. I want a #Geep. #goatsheep #baby...extremely rare #cute! buff.ly/1rWRKka 2 weeks ago
- My favorite @EyeEm album of all time: #iseefaces http://t.co/FiRcijzR5f 3 weeks ago
- I love @EyeEm #bestphotoappever http://t.co/CYOixkSnop 3 weeks ago
- Summertime in Berlin eyeem.com/p/42507548 3 weeks ago
- #MyPrettyStreet (@ Malinikoff) EyeEm.com/p/42314834 3 weeks ago
- Went to White Trash last night. Except it wasn't freaking there! They sold out! How?!?!? EyeEm.com/p/41911277 1 month ago
- Post office at lunchtime. Infinite line. #whatwasithinking? (@ Schönhauser Allee Arcaden) 4sq.com/1jWZlg2 1 month ago