For sure this is a unique experience, and one that is truly Berlin. But don’t take my word for it — check out a few more reviews on the food and the restaurant from others in Berlin:
You are here: Home » Don’t Hate Me For Hating Currywurst!
October 10, 2012 | 11 Comments
I hate currywurst. There. I said it. Being so in love with Berlin as I am means that sentence borders on — no, it is — blasphemy. The people here go nuts for the (pork?) stuff, and I really cannot understand this gastronomic mystery. In fact, I’ve been told that Germans eat more than 70 million servings of currywurst cuisine annually. There are scores of currywurst restaurants in the city, and even a museum dedicated to immortalizing it’s meaty history.
Yes; greasy hot dog, chopped up, with icky too-sweet ketchup and sneeze-inducing dusty curry powder draws visitors from around the world. In my Berlin office cafeteria, I could always tell when it was currywurst day — the line snaked all the way through the entire eating area and out the door.
Maybe it’s an American thing, I don’t know, but I can confirm that my compatriot, Travels of Adam, feels the same: YUK!
But, if you are one of those that are passionate about spicy grease mixed with sugar and you are in Berlin, besides eating it you might want to visit the Deutsches Currywurst Museum. Nose your way through the powdery sniffing stations, get your very own personalized currywurst profile, and learn all about the curious history of the cult snack food while lounging on a giant weiner shaped sofa. To keep the curated experience in your heart long after you leave, you can even harass their oblong German speaking mascot, QWoo, on twitter.
- Urgent Veterinary Care and Pet Emergencies in Berlin October 13, 2013
- Best of Berlin Blogs: Roundup Feb 2013 February 11, 2013
- Kiss Your Honey On Gendarmenmarkt At Night November 1, 2012
- The German Museum Of Technology In Berlin October 27, 2012
- I Want to Wash the Windows of the Fernsehturm October 26, 2012
- Getting Naked With The Doctor September 4, 2011
- Bye Bye Monbijouplatz, I Will/Won’t Miss You June 21, 2012
- Sharing Translation Expertise With Google September 3, 2011
- Don’t Hate Me For Hating Currywurst! October 10, 2012
- On Public Nudity September 10, 2011
- Roos: Hi Sandy, I really enjoyed your piece on this! ...
- Isa: That picture is certainly enough to put anyone off...
- Sandy: Thanks very much Gilly. I appreciate your thoughts...
- Gilly: :-( I hope you and George get the chance to enjoy ...
- CR: Sandy, I read your concerns at the top of the art...
american Berlin berlinale bootie christmas cool cuisine dancing dj doctor expat expatriate expensive fashion FKK food foodie freikörperkultur funny germany gourmet holidays landmark life luxury michelin star nudity party prêt a diner restaurant sightseeing soundcloud startup technology tim raue tourism translate travel trendy unique vacation visit walking wow youtube
- RT @phessler: Not a joke, either RT @SandyInBerlin: Just because dancing is illegal in Germany today, I'm celebrating by watching Footloose… 1 day ago
- RT @martinrue: @SandyInBerlin Saw a big group of people in Potsdamer Platz dancing in the street to music blasting from cars. Wondered what… 1 day ago
- Just because dancing is illegal in Germany today, I'm celebrating by watching Footloose. #danceon 1 day ago
- RT @berlinlovesyou: One Spark - a Crowdfunding Festival coming to Berlin @BeOneSpark wp.me/p4fZy2-1i9 3 days ago
- My fave place in Berlin. (@ Caterinas Liaison) 4sq.com/1hSlO5O http://t.co/b89SmKWArc 4 days ago
- Oh for Pete's sake. So busy tweeting at @GillyBerlin and @smonicats that I missed two tram stops. #exercisetime #hoofinithome 4 days ago
- @smonicats surprised you weren't at the Gramofon event. 4 days ago
- @GillyBerlin did you notice the stash? 4 days ago
- This one's for you @GillyBerlin. ;) #Rosenthalerplatz http://t.co/u89AdslHOF 4 days ago
- @danilkazzz essentially. But with way more fun features for enjoying music with your friends. 4 days ago